These days it may seem a little difficult to find ways to have fun. Frankly, with all that is going on in the world it could seem nearly impossible. But it isn’t. There are many things you could do to bring a little joy back into life when all seems lost. So don’t despair, you’re not alone, let’s get down to it and explore ways to get a little joy back in life.
Importance of having fun
This may go without saying but it’s important to have fun in life. Fun brings on joy which will in turn lift your spirit and your mood. When you are in a good mood and having fun you will be more productive.
Recently we began homeschooling. The first few weeks were rough to say the least and I found very little joy or fun in it. I knew I needed to push through and keep trying because it was what we felt was best for our brood.
During that first week there was tension between myself and my youngest. He doesn’t like school and was in no hurry to get the day started. There were fights and tension. So I got silly. Yes. You read that right. I stepped out of serious mom teacher mode and got silly with him. He tried walking into our “schoolroom” with a scowl on his face. The minute he stepped in I lifted my hand in touchdown fashion and said loudly “Welcome to our homeschool academy!”
He turned around and walked out. Then returned again so I repeated my greeting in the same fashion. He giggled and walked out then in again. This went on for a short while. Finally he came in and stayed and we got down to business. But both our moods had shifted. He was giggly and happy and the tension of the way our morning had left me.
I shared this to show how just a small amount of fun even in the oddest moments can change the atmosphere. So find the fun in any circumstance!
Ways to have fun!
You might be thinking, “well that’s easy for you to say. I don’t homeschool or my kids just don’t respond that way so it’s not that easy.” You’re right. We are all different. But, guess what. You can find some fun in life no matter what you do. Whether you work outside the home full time, stay home, homeschool, or whatever your situation may be. Don’t lose heart. Here are some things you can do to start or keep the fun in your life.
- Play a board game.
- Play a video game.
- Get silly for a few minutes.
- Relax and watch a movie.
- Go for a walk or bike ride.
- Spend time cuddling your kids.
- Get a puppy.
- Go on a date night with your spouse (or if you are single go out for a girls night).
- Create a bucket list and start fulfilling them.
- Paint, draw, or just doodle.
- Play an instrument or start learning a new one!
- Spend time in the bible and worshipping God.
- Learn about an interest area on YouTube.
- Call a friend and talk.
- Get creative and make something.
- Plan a weekend getaway to the lake
- Go fishing.
- Go for a hike.
- Tour your own state.
- Explore nature.
- Jump on a trampoline.
- Smile. Just put on a smile.
- Be thankful for the little things in life.
- Walk barefoot in a rain puddle.
- Go swimming.
- Bake cookies.
- Cook lunch or dinner with your family.
- Read a book.
- Go on a picnic.
- Make a field day for your kids.
- Try something new.
- Make a Youtube video.
- Build a snowman or make snow angels.
- Sit on the beach.
- Take a nap or break.
- Go shopping.
- Pamper yourself.
- Begin a journal.
- Search family history.
- Do something with each of your kids individually.
- Sit outside and do nothing.
- Give someone a gift.
- Do a random act of kindness.
- Plan a service project and carry it out.
- Start a new family tradition.
- Spend time talking to and listening to God.
- Learn and tell jokes with your family.
- Run through a sprinkler.
- Cuddle up under a blanket by the fireplace (or just on the couch).
- Laugh and Love well.
Whatever you choose to do, start today. Pick just one of all the ways to have fun and do it. Do push it off thinking you will get to it tomorrow. Some of these take just minutes to complete. Try it out. You will be amazed at how shifting your mental focus from the world to a place of joy can change your perspective. If you try one of these or have another you like to do please share it with me!